12 Little Ways to Transform Heart: Lessons in Holiness and Evangelization from St. Térése of Lisieux
St. Thérèse of Lisieux’s “Little Way” has been embraced by people of all walks of life. In Twelve Little Ways to Transform Your Heart, author Susan Muto explores twelve facets of St. Thérèse’s simple spiritual path as a way to personal holiness and the secret to being a powerful witness to Christ in the world today.
Though she lived only to the age of twenty-four and spent almost her entire life at her family home and in the Carmelite convent, St. Thérèse of Lisieux displayed a love for Jesus and a passion for his gospel that have made her the patroness of the missions. The “Little Flower’s” humility and childlike trust are still powerful examples of how ordinary people can grow closer to Jesus and respond to Pope Francis’s call for a new evangelization.
The calls to holiness and to witness to Christ can seem daunting, but as Susan Muto—renowned speaker and expert on Carmelite spirituality—explains, Thérèse shows us that they are neither difficult nor dramatic. The Little Way can be lived by any of us, even with what Thérèse called the “ministry of the smile.”
With deep insight and warm personal devotion, Muto explains the Little Way and will help you put twelve dimensions of it into practice, drawing others to Christ by living a simple, joyful life. These twelve ways, derived from the example of Thérèse, are:
- Learn to love the hidden life
- Appreciate what a treasure the ordinary is
- Trust in Divine Mercy as little children do
- Receive the sacraments devoutly day after day
- Abandon yourself to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- Foster friendship with God and others
- Take up your cross and follow Jesus
- Pray unceasingly
- Simplify your life
- Let God free you to be your best self
- Commit yourself—body, mind, and spirit—to living the Gospel
- Leave a legacy of evangelical virtues others want to cultivate
Muto features short quotations from the saint’s autobiography, poetry, letters, and prayers, as well as perceptive reflection questions and personal prayers to show how imitating Thérèse can make us a powerful force of love. Muto also offers practical spiritual advice for those who want to deepen their faith and are attracted to the simplicity of St. Thérèse’s Little Way.
Features & Benefits
- Susan Muto is a 2014 Aggiornamento Award winner from the Catholic Library Association for her work in the ministry of renewal modeled by Pope John XXIII.
- Muto has written or coauthored more than forty books, including several recent books on Catholic spirituality.
By: Susan Muto
We Also Recommend
One Beautiful Dream: The Rollicking Tale of Family Chaos, Personal Passions, and Saying Yes to Them Both